psa: merchant account terminated without explanation

I publish illustrative scenarios prepared by my practice. All participants and conversations are fictional. The fictional posts are not posts by real users, accounts of client experiences, or reports of actual results.
Illustrative scenario prepared by my practice.
For informational purposes only. This is not legal advice. Laws vary by jurisdiction. Consult a qualified attorney for advice specific to your situation.
Hypothetical question

I'm in a difficult situation and trying to figure out my next steps.

merchant account terminated without explanation. I've been dealing with this for about 13 weeks now and the situation isn't improving.

The amount being held/disputed is approximately $9,534. I have tried contacting their legal department 3 times with no resolution.

What's the typical outcome in situations like this?

Illustrative response

NAL, but from what I've read, you should send a written demand. Of course the details matter a lot here.

Illustrative response

NAL, but from what I've read, you should file a complaint. Of course the details matter a lot here.

Illustrative response

NAL, but from what I've read, you should document everything. That said every case is different so take this with a grain of salt.

Illustrative response

NAL, but from what I've read, you should check your state's specific laws. Take the above with a huge disclaimer that I'm just some person on the internet.

Illustrative response

NAL, but from what I've read, you should send a written demand. But don't just take my word for it, get real legal advice.

Illustrative response

File a CFPB complaint immediately. I've seen PayPal/Stripe respond within 48 hours once the CFPB contacts them. It's free and you can do it online.

Illustrative response

Did they ever point you to a specific clause in your merchant agreement? In my case the processor quoted a section that let them terminate for "reputational risk" with zero detail. Worth pulling up your agreement and reading the termination and reserve language closely.

The 13 weeks part is what stands out to me. A lot of these agreements talk about a 90 to 180 day reserve hold after closure, so you may be right at the edge of when funds typically start moving. Not legal advice, just what I saw in my own contract.

Illustrative response

Have you sent anything in writing yet, or have all three contacts with their legal department been by phone? When this happened to my shop, the phone calls went nowhere but a written demand by email plus certified mail finally got a real person to respond.

Keep copies of everything, including the chargeback ratio reports if you have them. That was the data point that mattered most in my situation.

Illustrative response

General info only, not legal advice, and not your attorney. A few things worth separating out here. A merchant account closure and a held reserve are governed mostly by your merchant processing agreement, which is a contract, so the first question is always what that contract actually says about termination, reserves, and how long they can hold funds.

Regulation E, which an earlier poster mentioned, generally protects consumers on personal accounts for unauthorized electronic transfers. It usually does not cover a business merchant reserve dispute, so I would not lean on it as your main theory. The stronger angles are typically breach of contract and, depending on your state and facts, possibly conversion of the held funds once the contractual hold period passes.

Whatever you do, get your demand in writing with a clear deadline and a specific dollar figure. That creates a record and tends to move these along faster than phone calls.

Illustrative response

Update from someone a few months ahead of you: mine released after 119 days, which was the exact reserve period buried in the agreement. No explanation, no apology, the money just showed up.

If yours follows the same pattern you may be close. But I would still send the written demand now so you have leverage if they blow past their own stated hold period.

Illustrative response

Following. Almost identical situation here, about $7k held and the processor stopped responding entirely after the second email. The silence is the worst part.

Question for the room: did filing a complaint with a regulator actually speed anything up, or did it just create a paper trail?

Illustrative response

Answering RJ: in my case the regulator complaint did not directly force a release, but the processor's response to the regulator was the first time anyone explained their reasoning. That explanation gave me something concrete to push back on.

So I would say it is worth doing for the record and the explanation, but do not expect it to be the thing that gets your money back on its own.

Illustrative response

One practical thing from the accounting side: keep a running ledger of the held amount, any fees they keep deducting from the reserve, and the dates. Some processors quietly net out chargebacks and fees against the reserve while it sits, so the number you eventually get back can be lower than what you think is being held.

Reconcile it now so you can dispute any unexplained deductions later.

Illustrative response

Did you ever get a written reason in your closure notice? Mine just said "in accordance with the terms of service" with no clause cited. When I emailed back and asked them to identify the specific provision, the answer was vague, which honestly helped me later because it showed they could not point to anything concrete.

Illustrative response

Good discussion here. Quick reminder to keep posts to your own experience and general information rather than specific legal advice, since the right answer really does depend on the exact contract and the state involved.

For anyone landing here with the same problem: the recurring themes in this thread are read your merchant agreement's termination and reserve sections, put your demand in writing with a deadline, document every dollar and date, and consider a regulator complaint for the paper trail. That is a solid checklist to start from.

Illustrative response

OP here, thank you all. Update: I finally read the full agreement and there is a 180 day reserve hold clause plus, yes, an arbitration provision. So the 13 weeks I have waited is apparently still within their stated window, which is frustrating but at least explains the silence.

I sent a written demand by email and certified mail this week citing the reserve clause and asking them to confirm the exact release date and the current balance after any deductions. Will report back when I hear something.

Illustrative response

Smart move asking them to confirm the balance after deductions. That forces them to actually account for the money rather than just sit on it.

One more thing to add to your written record: ask them to confirm in writing whether the account closure was for cause or not. Some agreements treat the hold period differently depending on the reason, and pinning them down now avoids a moving target later.

Illustrative response

Following this and saving the checklist the mod posted. Same boat, processor closed me out with no reason and is holding just under $11k.

OP please do update when the release date they confirm actually arrives. The thing I keep seeing in these threads is the stated hold period and the actual release date not lining up, so real data points help all of us.